Menu Home

Arnewood,1820

In March 1811 a Bill for inclosing “Lands in the Manors of Sway Quarr, Sway Romsey and Arnewood, in the Parishes of Boldre and Hordle in the County of Southampton” was introduced into parliament and passed later in the year. It appears to have been an inclosure of the common only but as the final award was enrolled on 9th September 1820 there are no ‘active’ entries for the inclosure. Kain records the Arnewood inclosure as being awarded in 1820 with Martin as the surveyor and accredited map maker. On this occasion the sole commissioner was John Baverstock Knight and the first evidence for any part of the inclosure process did not take place until 1815 when in a flurry of activity he began his perambulation. The 1821 diaries reveal that Martin’s involvement was still ongoing however with at least two private commissions. On April 28th he,

28th April 1821

Set off for Hampshire to value Mr Astley’s estates at Arnewood

He stayed two nights at Lymington before setting off for home. In the same month in the accounts he “Reced of Mr Butcher for Mr Jones Maps £3” together with expenses “Pd Postage &c Mr Butcher and Pd expenses to and from Arnewood” presumably from an earlier private commission. In addition “Reced from Arnewood Inclosure what Mr Wm Jennings paid public expenses £11 13s 4d” confirming his role in the inclosure.

Previous  Abbotsbury, 1810.

Next         Bincombe,1827.